I have a bit of a sweet tooth. And it’s not a secret.
I’ve just always gravitated towards the sweet and yummy and unfortunately, because I grew up in the U.S. where processed and junk food is everywhere, I ate very unhealthily and even had high cholesterol for a big chunk of my life. Adopting a plant-based lifestyle didn’t change my habits much because now I just gravitated towards the vegan (high sugar, high fat) cookies, donuts and candy and I became what is known as a “junk food vegan”. I never really got it in my head that this was not the goal of my decision. So I started looking for alternatives and just left these other sweets for special occasions.
First and foremost, this meant choosing fruit or dark chocolate-covered nuts as snacks and dessert and also opting for dates as my sweet delicacy. Moreover, I began experimenting with breads, cookies and more and came up with this.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1-3 frozen strawberries
- 1 date
- 1/2 cup of plant-based milk (I love coconut milk)
- coconut shreds
- a handful of blueberries, raspberries or otherwise
- some chopped nuts or seeds
- a dash of cinnamon
- Add the frozen fruits, milk and date to a food processor and blend until smooth
- Add ice if you want it thicker and milk if you want it a little more smoother
- Top with the coconut shreds, berries, nuts and seeds AND cinnamon
*I like mine for breakfast or when watching a movie paired with chocolate drizzled popcorn*
AND REMEMBER… you can easily adjust this to suit your preferences like pumpkin seeds instead of cashews or rice milk instead of coconut. The world is your oyster.