At the Campo di Fiori market in Rome, I decided I would buy a bag of chickpeas along with other things like lentils and spices. I thought, surely I would fine some way to cook these into something good. And I did.
I decided I would make my very own spiced roasted chickpeas to have as a side for my lunches and to share with my friends at school. So I got the creative juices flowing in my mind and created a recipe that turned out pretty good, and it’s even in Italian style with minimal measurements given. Here goes:
- a bag of dry chickpeas **
- salt to season
- pepperoncino, or chili flakes
- olive oil for drenching
- curry powder
** The night before you’re to roast them, soak the chickpeas in water if dry. If from a can or wet otherwise, you’re good to go. Just make sure to dry them/ blot them for use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set a timer for 40 minutes
- Oil up a parchment sheet on a tin baking sheet
- In a bowl mix the chickpeas, some more olive oil, and all the spices you’d like
- Spread the chickpeas on the baking sheet and stick in the oven
- After 15 minutes, use a spoon to stir them around to ensure all sides get roasted evenly
- When they’re done, give them a nice stir around, add salt to taste and let cool for 15-20 minutes
If you have any recipes, feel free to share them, I’ll be sure to do it too.